Monica Owens is an experienced attorney with more than two decades of success in managing complex commercial litigation and developing effective pretrial, trial, appellate, and post-judgment collection strategies. Monica has advised and represented Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, banks, real estate owners, small businesses, and professionals in a broad range of matters before federal and state courts. Monica’s exceptional business acumen and advocacy have yielded positive results for her clients in nationwide business-related matters. Her varied experience includes recovering multi-million dollar judgments, as well as defending against claims in high-risk litigation. As a litigator, a former judicial staff attorney of the Georgia Court of Appeals, and a former judicial staff attorney of Georgia’s busiest trial court, she has extensive knowledge of appellate practice and court procedures.
- J.D., Georgia State University College of Law
- B.A., cum laude, Spelman College
- Obtained a defense judgment in favor of a commercial tenant against a landlord’s dispossessory action, preventing the issuance of a writ of possession and collection of miscalculated back rent.
- Obtained a defense judgment in favor of a dentist against breach of contract and medical malpractice claims.
- Obtained the grant of a discretionary appeal in the Georgia Court of Appeals to review an attorneys’ fees dispute.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement that saved a defendant client at least $144,000.00 in a claim for attorneys’ fees.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement allowing business owners to retain ownership of corporate assets in a lawsuit involving corporate dissolution and intellectual property claims.
- Obtained pre-answer voluntary dismissals of all claims against a landlord in premises liability lawsuits. The landlord client was completely absolved of liability and avoided expenses associated with litigation.
- Collected $1.25 million against a deceased debtor’s estate in a pre-judgment settlement.
- Collected $1.65 million against debtors of a promissory note to a failed bank after aggressively pursuing post-judgment discovery.
- Obtained a judgment modification in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, which resulted in a total award of $4.5 million in favor of the creditor client.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a property owner defending against a quiet title action and challenge to a foreclosure sale. Also obtained a judgment for back rent and a writ of possession in the related dispossessory proceeding, which led to the holdover tenant’s eviction from the premises.
- Obtained the eviction of tenants from a landlord’s commercial office building, after defending against the tenants’ multiple bankruptcy filings and court motions seeking to prevent the scheduled evictions.
- Obtained a judgment in the approximate amount of $1.1 million in favor of a landlord against a defaulting tenant and a guarantor of a retail lease.
- Obtained an order compelling pre-trial discovery and awarding attorneys’ fees in favor of a landlord defending against a tenant’s breach of contract lawsuit.
- Obtained a favorable defense verdict for a pest control company following a jury trial addressing property claims for alleged termite damage, and successfully defended against the plaintiff’s motion for a new trial.
- Obtained an involuntary dismissal with prejudice in favor of an apartment complex owner during the discovery phase of a tenant’s premises liability lawsuit.
- Obtained voluntary dismissals in favor of a manufacturer defending against toxic tort claims in a class action.
- Obtained a judgment in favor of a plaintiff asserting fraud and conversion claims; also obtained the dismissal of a related bankruptcy action filed by the defendant.
- Obtained a judgment in favor of a plaintiff interior designer in a breach of contract action.
- Successfully resolved more than 100 cases as lead counsel on behalf of the Federal Aviation Administration in pretrial settlements, trials and hearings before the Department of Transportation, the National Transportation Safety Board, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the Merit Systems Protection Board.
Presentations & Publications
- Legal Writing Seminar – Three Course Series (2016) Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys
- Reviewing and Negotiating a Commercial Lease Agreement (April 29, 2015) Real Property Section, American Bar Association
- Nuts and Bolts of Leases: Enforcing the Lease, Default, Remedies, Eviction and Dispute Resolution (February 24, 2015) Real Property Section, American Bar Association
- Managing Problem Tenants (October 24, 2014) International Conference of Shopping Centers Law Conference
- An Evaluation: Georgia’s Safe Carry Protection Act and Premises Liability Against Commercial Property Owners (September 25, 2014) Gate City Bar Association
- Defining the Limits of a Condemnor’s Authority to Abandon Condemnation Proceedings (September 20, 2014) Law360
- Appellate Strategies: 1) Requirements and Best Practices for Filing Briefs in the Georgia Appellate Courts and 2) Distinctions Between the Rules of the Georgia Court of Appeals and the Georgia Supreme Court (August 17, 2013) Trial Masters Boot Camp, Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys
- Writing Effective Briefs and Motions in Litigation (June 26, 2013) Litigation Coalition, Gate City Bar Association
- Effective Appellate Advocacy (April 2013) Bleckley Inn of Court