Michelle L. McClafferty
As an experienced litigator, Michelle counsels corporate and individual clients regarding risk management and pre-suit strategy, in addition to providing representation at all phases of litigation in state and federal court, from commencement through appeal. Michelle represents clients in consumer and commercial arbitration proceedings.
Michelle’s practice focuses on complex civil litigation, primarily in the areas of product and premises liability, insurance claims and coverage matters, and business disputes. She regularly represents clients in high-stakes cases alleging catastrophic injury and substantial property loss. Her representative product liability and personal/property injury experience includes matters involving medical devices, HVAC equipment, power tools and construction equipment, as well as toxic torts. Michelle also has a background in employment litigation, representing clients in cases arising under state and federal employment statutes, as well as cases involving restrictive covenants and intellectual property disputes. Her experience includes advocating on behalf of insurers, manufacturers and distributors, construction companies and national financial institutions, as well as local and small business owners.
During law school, Michelle was selected to compete as a member of the National Trial Team and the Frederick Douglass Moot Court Team. Additionally, she worked with the Boston College Legal Assistance Bureau and served as the Vice President of the Law Student Association. Michelle is a recipient of the William J. O’Keefe Award for outstanding contribution to the Law School.
Direct Line: 404-400-1755
- J.D., Boston College of Law
- B.A., magna cum laude, Syracuse University
- Represented product and system manufacturers, installers and distributors in personal injury, wrongful death and property damage matters in state and federal court proceedings.
- Defended health care providers and institutions in malpractice and wrongful death claims.
- Represented client in arbitration of personal injury and property damage claims.
- Represented financial institutions in consumer disputes alleging violations of state and federal law.
- Obtained fee award on behalf of client in defense of copyright claims.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of security services company on negligence and wantonness claims.
- Obtained dismissal of fraud claims based on forum selection clause, which was affirmed by Alabama Supreme Court.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of healthcare provider, which was affirmed by the Alabama Supreme Court.
- Defended class action lawsuits involving wage and hour disputes.
- Represented clients in various industries in non-party discovery matters.
Mercer Law Review: Federal Trial Practice and Procedure, Eleventh Circuit Survey (2018 – 2019).